Tuesday 10 May 2016

IS BREAST REALLY BEST?


Without a doubt becoming a parent is the biggest, scariest, most amazing thing you can go through. Nobody can explain to you what it feels like, and how hard but rewarding it is. I have found in the past 3-4 weeks of Lily being here everybody.. weather it is a family, friend or complete stranger will want to give you there advice.. which yes,,, thank you that is lovely to hear but.. it may be just me but I have found everyone's opinions stressful... I've been crying to Kurt and my Mum about countless things like 'what do I do... this person said to do it like this, but this other person said that's not right' etc etc... So I wanted to do a post today to basically talk about a hot topic... 


There is a lot of controversy when it comes to Breastfeeding VS Bottle-feeding - and near enough everybody has an opinion on it (and they think they are correct) Since becoming a mum to a current gorgeous 3 week old, I have been overwhelmed with people telling me the 'do's & donts of parenting' * 

*NOTE - there is no do's and donts. 


DO NOT  be made to feel guilty for the decision you choose. I have learnt over the past 3-4 weeks EVERYONE will try and tell you what is right and wrong, and what you should do... The important thing is to do what makes your baby happy... as long as he/she is feeding, is full, got clothes on there back and somewhere to sleep at night - WHO THE HELL CARES - who/what/where/when/how it is done? 


When I was in hospital I felt pressured into breastfeeding - they didn't even give me the option of anything else. And of course they would because the benefits of breastfeeding are amazing....

  • Reduces the risk of infections, diarrhoea, vomiting, SIDS - Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, Leukaemia, Diabetes, Obesity - the list is endless
  • Bonding with your little one
  • The milk contains all the vitamins, nutrients that your baby needs for the first 6 months of life
  • Good for our health too
  • Burns 500-700 calories per day (great for us wanting to loose our mum-tums!)
  • Helps with cognitive development


I really wanted to get along with breast feeding - and for the first 2 weeks, I solely breastfed and Lily was latching so well, going every 4 hours between feeds and I finally thought 'OMG this is so easy, whats the big fuss about?' 
Don't get me wrong - I nearly gave up in the first few days but the key is to be persistent and not give up even though it is so hard. But you are not alone, there are thousands of women going through this, I have found facebook support groups, speaking to the health vistor and my other mummy friends very helpful - so reach out and speak up. So after a couple days of not giving up, Lily loved being breastfed and I felt over the moon that I achieved it, I just hoped I could continue when I got home, alone... without the support of doctors and midwives. 

Now nearly 4 weeks old, sleep deprived and having a baby that is being more needy and more hungry as she is growing... I'm starting to struggle again.. and I'm starting to understand the whole wanting to bottle feed... 
I have started to feed Lily a bottle at her 10pm feed then again at her 2-3am feed - until she wakes again at 6am and then I will try and breastfeed all day until 10pm.. and it works for us....and I get a solid 4-5 hours sleep at last = happy mummy! You have to find what works for you and your baby, it may not be the most 'popular choice' but like I said previously, as long as your baby is happy who the hell cares? I'm not really sure if you can mix doing breastfeeding & bottle... but Lily is happy so I am too.

I beat myself up about it for a while.. I felt guilty for giving up breastfeeding for half the day/night and resorting to the bottle... I felt like a failure and that Lily wasn't getting half the goodness that she should be... But after a week or so.. I'm starting to feel better about the situation... I have been out and about at Tesco, shopping, on walks etc and spotted the amount of people bottle feeding there tiny humans outweighs the amount of people I have spotted breastfeeding, that has reassured me lots. And also I have family with children who have NEVER breastfed, and there children are the most perfect, healthy little things... so I'm starting to not feel guilty... like I said as long as Lily is fed and happy why should you care weather it comes from you or a bottle? 


Benefits of bottle feeding:

  • Less uncomfortable - no more painful breasts, cracked nipples or bite marks!
  • It can be less embarrassing to feed in public (many women feel uncomfortable whipping out there breast!)
  • Can comfortably feed your baby a bottle any time
  • No guess work involved - has my baby had enough? Breastfeeding you don't knw how much your baby is getting unless you express, therefore you baby can be more demanding and need feeding more often
  • Can be easier to regulate a routine
  • Your entire family can share the experience 
There are pro's and cons to both - but I am learning to do things my way, and we are finally happy and starting to settle into routine. 

I'm sorry for this rambley post but I just really wanted to reassure other mums out there that whatever you choose - it's okay. And not to beat yourself up if breastfeeding or bottle feeding doesn't work for you.


I'd love to hear your opinions, your stories and how your getting on with things, whatever your doing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment